FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dom or 4P in Cologne
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2008, 4:00 pm
skye1

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nixande
I suggest you stay near the train station as this is your easiest way of getting to and from the airport location wise.

as you only stay for a very short amount I would save money and spend it on something else, I remember the dom being quite more expensive.

(iirc the 4p is also part of the current 4p promition that might help you a bit.)

If proximity to the train station is the deciding factor, than either is fine. The 4-P is across the street from one train station entrance (at the opposite end of the "train station mall" from the cathedral entrance), the Dom is on the other side of the cathedral from the other train station entrance (from the station, just walk upstairs & past the Dom entrance, and it's right there).

Either is no more than a 5 minute walk. You save MAYBE a minute or two at the 4P, if that. To get to the Cathedral from the 4P, simply walk thru the train station, from one entrance thru to the other.

Interestingly, for a 2-night stay this past weekend, the 4P was MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more expensive than the Dom. They told us it was because the 4P was nearly sold out. So, ended up doing one night at the 4P, and the other at the Dom....which worked out well for the stays promo SPG is doing now.

A 70-80 eur. rate at the 4P included a really, really good breakfast buffet with several hot different hot/cooked entrees, fresh fruits, cereals, baked goods, meats, cheeses, juices, coffees, etc. Def. not your typical club lounge nor continental breakfast at all.

The Dom did not include breakfast, nor does the Dom have a club lounge. Breakfast at the Dom restaurant was at least 20 eur (which was passed on for cheaper places nearby).

If one is choosing hotels based on cost alone, then you'd have to factor in the "free" breakfast at the 4P.

As a Plat at the Dom, was upgraded to the Dom suite (on the corner of the hotel, top floor, with a round room with multiple balconies facing the Dom cathedral).

As a Plat at the 4P, I had a "standard" room instead of a suite, BUT--and this is noteworthy--I was upgraded to a much larger room with a much larger bathroom (about as big as the room was). I saw a couple of the other standard-sized standard rooms, & mine was def. much bigger. It was also facing the inner coutryard & not the street, so NO traffic noise. The hotel staff said their suites were booked, and they spent some time ascertaining which was the biggest room they could still give me. They said if their suites were not already booked, they would have been glad to upgrade me to one, and were VERY apologetic that they had none to upgrade me to (no apology needed, they were booked, but it was nice of them).

There was a lot of road construction going on around the 4p, which actually made a walk to the Dom shorter than a walk to the 4p...but, again, neither is more than a few steps from the train station.

Last edited by skye1; Mar 9, 2008 at 7:53 pm