FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New US policy: No more 500 mile minimum per segment
Old Feb 14, 2008, 2:09 pm
goheelswks

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Of course, Tempe being the typical underhanded organization that it is, they announce this after people have been racking up miles and segments for 6 weeks. I'm betting there are a ton of folks who either would not have flown nor credited DM with their flights in January had they known this before the 1st of the year.
Exactly. Was tempted to status match to DL or start crediting to UA this year, but stuck with US b/c it gives me the best shot at an upgrade with my Plat status on my weekly CLT-ORD roundtrip (where I pay a premium fare to fly US a/o/t AA or UA). So now I have 12k orphaned miles from January if I leave, much of it on F/Y/B fares where I got jilted on the status bonus to begin with.

This is a real kick in the teeth. What idiots. Now shuttle choice is more of a no-brainer, and flights to ILM, ROA, etc. also look a lot better on DL or anyone else.

I just tried to look at the '06 10-K to see what cost they're recognizing per mile based on the accrual, but couldn't figure it out b/c the cost and associated liability are buried in "other" expenses/liabilities, and the disclosures weren't much help (at least, based on my keyword searches.) But I'm going to guess that both the recognized and realized savings are rather minimal and won't offset the negative PR and defections/lost revenue.

Keep the pretzels, give me my miles. Thanks. Another great way for US to differentiate itself from the entire industry. @:-)