FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New US policy: No more 500 mile minimum per segment
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:19 am
BoeingBoy

Programs: None
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Right. I suppose you are excluding the people that fly from PHX-anywhere in Southern California, LAS-Anwhere in Southern Cal, New Mexico to anywhere, and anyone who regularly connects from SoCal to anywhere.
Clue,

I wonder if this is just another sign of Tempe's myoptic "the world is just like PHX" thinking. I came up with a list of short-haul flights last night - not all-inclusive by any means since it started with mainline flights from BTS's Dec 07 on-time database and expanded with flights I knew were non-stop from the 2Q07 (latest available) Air Fare report. I'll post it if anyone's interested.

The difference in average yields between East and West short-haul is striking. On the East side, it's rare to see average yields less than 50 cents/mile unless there's direct low-cost competition (like PHL-RDU) or it's primarily a leisure market (like CLT-MCO). However, on the West side it's rare to see average yields over 50 cents/mile (PHX-TUS is the lone exception I found) and most are in the 25-40 cent/mile range.

So I just wonder if they assume all short-haul fliers are like those they're accustomed to in their little HP world so heavily influenced by WN. If so, I think they're about to get a rude awakening......

Jim