FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New US policy: No more 500 mile minimum per segment
Old Feb 14, 2008, 2:52 am
vysean

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I agree, the latter is the big question. I doubt US would give 500 miles to UA flyers, or allow UA to do so, less US disincentivize travel on their short-hauls even more than this decision will do.

So I'm guessing that the answer is "no."
I could be wrong, but US doesn't have anything to do with UA's determination of who gets miles for what. It's up to each individual airline.

US may give only actual miles, but UA is free to give whatever they want for a US flight credited to them.

LH is a good example. LH gives their members 50% credit for an S-class fare. US only gives 50% credit. UA gives 100%. I have no idea how it works within the alliance - if you fly LH but credit to UA, does LH "pay" UA for the miles? Or do they figure it nets even over the course of a year?

Regardless, different carriers can have different policies.

Interestingly enough, US got their *A mileage accrual chart updated right away - in small bold print at the bottom it mentions the change to actual miles flown is effective May 1, 2008.

http://www.usairways.com/common/reso...crualchart.pdf