FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New US policy: No more 500 mile minimum per segment
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:26 am
mooper

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Among stupid decisions that US management has made, this ranks right up near the top. Further nickel and dime your most profitable customers -- that you are already raping with ridiculous fares in many instances, especially in the east. Truly unbelievable.
Raping? A bit of an extreme description, don't you think, given that no one has to buy a ticket if they don't like the price? If I don't like what the local burger joint is charging for lunch, I either go elsewhere or make my own.

The reality is that airlines are for profit and they are perfectly entitled to do things that they feel wlll generate more profit. I suspect US weighed their options and felt that this move was superior to raising prices, charging more miles per award ticket, or other options. It certainly could be that US is taking a decision that will cost them more than it will save them (because of the plethora of reasons that I'm sure will be posted here within minutes), but accusing them victimizing customers is absurd. Free markets give you choices - they don't owe you anything.