FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Q400 is AWEFUL!
Thread: Q400 is AWEFUL!
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:28 pm
CO FF

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Welcome to FT. Nice name you chose there...

The FT community is always glad to welcome someone who comes out flaming on their first post.

That said:

Originally Posted by COFrequentFlyer
we flew low (12000 feet, this should be great in the summer storms)
FlightAware shows that, going back over the last 10 days (starting today), only once did CO 3310 (the daily Colgan Q400 flight PIT-EWR) operate below 25,000 feet -- and that was at 17,000 feet. FYI, of all the RJ-operated flights on this route today, none went above 25,000 either.

the flight took 30 minutes longer than the jet.
Tonite CO 3310 took 1:07 -- the longest in that stretch. The fastest was Feb 10 at 0:50. Of all the RJ operated PIT-EWR flights today, the fastest was CO 2511 at 0:46; the slowest was 1:04. So, it looks like the jet was 3 or 4 minutes faster.

The landing on 11/29 in EWR scared the siht out of me. I have landed several times on that runway in the embraer, but that was by far the CLOSEST I have ever been to the tops of the hotel roof and even more scary was the closeness the the high tension power lines near the train station.
If you look at the "Track Log" from today's flights as a sample, you'll see that the Q400's last few reported altitudes before landing (based on time) were in the middle of the ranges shown by the RJ flights. Obviously, not knowing when you flew doesn't speak to your flight, but one flight doesn't make causality either...

I am also concerned about the maintenance on the airplane since Colgan has a less than stellar maintenance reputation. Colgan had the Beech nosedive into the ocean (Hyannis I think) a few years ago when maintenance messed up the flight control cables.
Yes, MX was a primary cause of that Beech crash (Colgan's only fatality, I believe) -- but pilot error and a less than optimal manual were major contributing factors. See http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...04X01459&key=1

So, what's your beef with Colgan? Are you a disgruntled XJT'er looking to get back at CO?