FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Q400 is AWEFUL!
Thread: Q400 is AWEFUL!
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:13 pm
Hartmann
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by COFrequentFlyer
I flew the Q400 last week from PIT to EWR. I was really disappointed in the airplane. Everyone talks about the airplane, but I was not impressed. It was loud, we flew low (12000 feet, this should be great in the summer storms), service was awful and the flight took 30 minutes longer than the jet.
I'm interested to know where you were sitting in the plane? Near the engines?

What kind of service were you expecting? 4 course meal? Foot rub?

What is wrong with flying at 12,000 ft?

I heard the flight attendants talking. They said the was shorter going back, so they were only going to do a water service. That is all they did... water! Gave everyone a glass of water. Other than being a nice, new airplane, I have nothing good to add. The crews seem miserable and it showed in their service. We never heard from the flight crew in flight or on the ground. The airplanes did not seem to have oxygen masks. Nothing in the overheads and the flight attendants didn't demonstrate how to use them which leads me to believe there aren't any.
The planes may not have oxygen masks, I'm not sure. But then again, do you really need them at 12,000 feet?

There was nothing in the overheads so you assume the overheads don't exist?

The landing on 11/29 in EWR scared the siht out of me. I have landed several times on that runway in the embraer, but that was by far the CLOSEST I have ever been to the tops of the hotel roof and even more scary was the closeness the the high tension power lines near the train station. The plane skidded down the runway with the props in reverse and the pilots obviously standing on the brakes. We BARELY got stopped before 22R. I am also concerned about the maintenance on the airplane since Colgan has a less than stellar maintenance reputation. Colgan had the Beech nosedive into the ocean (Hyannis I think) a few years ago when maintenance messed up the flight control cables.

My suggestion... avoid at all costs.
First, the incident at Yarmouth was attributed to both poor maintenance and the lack of clarity in the maintenance manuals.

Second, if the props were in reverse I'd be very worried.

The account of the landing is kind of strange as well as there is a taxiway right before 22R so who's to say the pilot didn't do exactly what he was supposed to.

I've been on a Dash 8 during a severe storm going into CLT and can say that I felt just fine as we bounced around and eventually landed (near mountains, at night) in ROA.