FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It isn't every day that you witness a hijacking attempt + NZ's forgotten 4th island
Old Feb 11, 2008, 8:01 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
WAITANGI CHATHAM ISLAND to CHRISTCHURCH (CHT-CHC) on Air Chathams Metroliner

With ex-Cyclone Gene rapidly approaching I unfortunately did not have long to stay. Just long enough for the aircraft to turnaround, refuel, offload one small load of cargo and load up the next. During the wait the other Air Chathams aircraft, an ageing convair landed. It was fun to see it too land almost sideways on the runway and bounce along in the wind.

The convair sits overnight (at least) in the Chathams, so normally any visitors must spend at least 1 night there. The summer metroliner flights turnaround and return to Christchurch same day.

Normally the aircraft are not seen side by side. The big delay earlier was the only reason they were. The metroliner has the colours of now defunct airline Origin Pacific rather than that of Air Chathams.

The convair arrival delayed our departure by a few minutes but not enough for us to be caught by the storm.

Some people might be horrified by the check in process. All other (half a dozen) passengers of course had checked in earlier and were waiting around in the terminal which is basically a shed/converted barn with a few seats, toilet and a zip (tea bags and instant coffee available for sale at $3 a cup), but not much else. Outside was too windy to spend any time in than was absolutely necessary.

There was no one at the counter - all airline staff where either out on the apron seeing to refuelling, loading or unloading, or yakking in the staffroom. When it was time to load the bags on someone came out of the staffroom and I walked up to the counter. I pointed out my name on the sheet of paper lying on the counter in full view and was ticked off. No id. No boarding pass. No xrays, wtmd, shoe nonsense, etc.

Of course the risk is minimal. The airline staff and pilots know everyone (except me and I'd just flown across). With so few people on the islands and even fewer visitors, it is most unlikely anyone could claim a seat that isn't theirs.

We boarded shortly afterwards. The aircraft was rocking in the wind. I swapped seats with a fellow passenger so she could sit directly across the aisle from her partner. Unfortunately this meant I got the front left hand seat. While this is good for a quick exit should my onward flight connection be tight, the steps intrude and my left leg was jammed up against the steps and thus rather cramped the entire flight.

One of the pilots passed around a shopping bag full of sandwiches for passengers to help themselves, and one passenger suddenly dashed out to visit the toilet. Yup no loo onboard so go before you go on this longish flight.

A short taxi to the end of the runway. Then a big rev up before releasing the brakes. With a great view of the cockpit I could see they were steering on quite an angle to compensate for the wind.