FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It isn't every day that you witness a hijacking attempt + NZ's forgotten 4th island
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:20 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
AUCKLAND to CHRISTCHURCH (AKL-CHC) on Air NZ 737-300

Another early start. This time I was taking the 6am domestic flight, so the first airbus of the day worked in nicely. Leaving central city around 0450 and arriving at the airport at 0540 - just late enough for me to be thankful I had already checked in on line (and nabbed some good seats), but not so late that I regretted not cabbing out to the airport. For the 6am international flights, the airbus is far too late to make check in cut-off.

On arrival I checked using quick check machine (about a minute before check in closed) whether there were any better seats to be had - it seems not. Then through security and up to the lounge which had already been open for a short period. I had just enough time to notice Air NZ had a one day sale when boarding was called. Oh well, I'll check out the sale when I get to Christchurch.

Despite the early hour (with just 2 domestic departures) we got a stand bay which meant climbing down some stairs, across the tarmac and up air stairs to board. When I boarded the aircraft was still rather empty. So much for the usual practice of calling flights in the lounge at a late stage in boarding.

However, passengers continue to come in by ones and twos for several minutes and the load ended up at about half full. I had a whole row blocked out (as confirmed by the quick check machine) ^

This week was the start of a new improved domestic service. Both Qantas and Air NZ are making improvements to try to keep their more profitable customers away from Pacific Blue. The changes for this flight included free newspapers at the gate for all passengers (and not just those who have lounge access), and a light breakfast offered (previously no food at all). Breakfast was a choice of a bran and walnut muffin (decently sized) or a small bowl of muesli. No napkin though - at least until hot drinks were served later - which means sticky fingers for those who chose a muffin. As well as the usual water tea and coffee (and now real coffee instead of instant ^) there was orange juice.

I read a bit and dozed. I also spent some time watching the early morning light over the countryside - the skies were fairly clear except for inland fog in North Canterbury which made the landscape look like a whiter southern version of the Marlborough Sounds. The soft morning light and low sun angles gave lots of interesting shadow effects on the land below.

We arrived slightly early and had a 1 minute wait for the airbridge as a result.