FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Costco Kirland Signature Executive luggage question
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:03 pm
RFTraveler

Programs: F9 Ascent, UA, AA, AS, ICH PA, Hertz PC.....
Originally Posted by a330300
<snip> Instead of a zipper that pulls around the expandable section, it is now controlled using some internal framework that is automatic...should be interesting to use <snip>
Costco bags are (at least as of last year) made by Paragon Luggage. So, If you don't want to buy one from Costco, go to Macy's and buy it there...for more money...

The bags have gotten a bit lighter over the years, but when my wife complained to Costco about hers feeling too light compared to mine (hers was mid generation - still zipper expansion but lighter weight - purchased about Q2 2006) she got a personal email (complete with typos) from a Paragon Executive VP explaining the change in materials . Apparently the frame change (lexan frame instead of ABS) was brought about due to complaints about the empty weight eating into 50 pound domestic weight allowance. The newer construction dropped the overall weight by 3.5 pounds. I don't know what the weight impact (if any) of the non-zip expansion system is...

In Kirkland Signature, I've got the weird olive green (pretty unique) full size, and a navy blue rollaboard (both zip-expand and heavier construction). Love them, lots of domestic miles.

My wife has an *old* black rollaboard of the pre-expansion vintage (probably the "original" Kirkland bag, from around 1999 or 2000) and a "taupe" (read "tan") of the zip-expand but lighter frame vintage.

Next purchase will be an expandable rollaboard for her in a non-black color.

Go Costco!

RFTraveler ^^^