Old Mar 13, 02, 9:10 am
LarryU

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Platinum-Bonvoyage, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
My experience is the opposite.

As those who have traveled with me can attest, I strive to be the first to board and I'm successful about 95% of the time.

I've never been pulled aside as #1. Never. And that's about 35 flights YTD.
</font>
My observation is that the "random" screening appears to be handled differently at each airport. Perhaps it shouldn't be that way, but this inconsistency is the only thing that is consistent with other aspects of the overall security process. As has been discussed in earlier threads, at "pre-screening" some airports no longer require presentation of the passenger's picture ID (PDX, MIA terminal F, JFK terminal 7), whereas at others, they always ask to look at both the boarding pass/E-Ticket receipt and the ID (EWR terminal C).

Regarding the gate situation, I have noticed that LAX and SFO often employ someone who walks through the line, examines each boarding pass and then "randomly" redirects passengers to the screening area, according to criteria that currently elude me. PDX most definitely picks the first passengers on line to be their "victims". While boarding a flight to LAX last month, none of the passengers seemed willing to board the plane. After a lengthy five minute wait, I willingly volunteered myself by simply stepping forward. Instantly, two screeners who had been hiding behind the privacy barriers descended upon me, rubber gloves in hand. So, I haven't the slightest doubt that the scenarios as presented above do indeed happen, at least at some locales.