FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - F Lap Child run amok
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by stbeeman
You know PTravel - I think that's fair! My point really wasn't "Grumpy FC Flyer Bad, Misunderstood Kid Good." Just wanted to highlight that it's easy to point the finger at somebody and make a snap judgement when we're upset without bothering to wonder why the behavior is happening. To be clear, we try really hard to be considerate of other travelers when we fly with my son. We plan ahead, board early, bring all kinds of stuff to entertain him, and supervise him continuously (in Y!) throughout the flight. And most of the time life is great. Sometimes it's not. We do the best we can, try to calm him when he has a meltdown, and try to apologize and make amends to our fellow travelers who are inconvenienced. In more than 5 years of flying with an autistic child, I've only ever had one negative experience with pax, and that person apologized before the flight was over. So you're right - parents should try and control their kids and make the flight enjoyable for everyone...as much as they can. Sometimes, even with a neuro-typical kiddo, it's not in your control anymore.

Believe me, when my son has a meltdown your frustration is a drop in the bucket compared to the frustration, fear, embarrassment, and anger going on inside my skull...
From the tone of this post, I'd say that you and your spouse are exceptional parents. Sadly, not the norm. Based on the statistics above, more than 99% of the children we see on planes are not autistic. Odds are that a misbehaving kid is simply misbehaving. And that happens. All too often, though, parents permit this, generally by ignoring this, and getting upset with anyone who brings this up. No, it's not all, or even most parents, but they're not that hard to find. These are the people that many of us are talking about. The parents who think it's ok for their kid to run in the aisles, yell and scream, kick seats, etc.

Parents like you are a blessing...to your kids- where it really matters- and to us grumpy FC travelers, who are far less important in this context.

Cheers.