FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread]
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:50 am
damon88

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for a well-written (and clever) review Q--

As I was reading it I was trying to decide why the older furniture and quaint layout of the rooms didn't bother us when we stayed at the Pulitzer. After all, we stay in a lot of true luxury hotels and have very high standards.

I think the most important factors were 1) we knew what to expect -- we had viewed photos online and knew that the hotel was furnished more like a flat or apt 2) it was very comfortable and 3) it seemed to fit the atmosphere of the charming Jordaan

I think my biggest disappointments when we travel are when our expectations are not met. After reading all of the wonderful reviews of the Goldener Hirsch, for instance, I was surprised when it was furnished like the Pulitzer-- with older, apt type furniture. I wasn't expecting it and so I was initially disappointed (especially since we had just come from the modern, upgraded Schloss Fuschl and the elegant Imperial)

And I'm sure that at the Pulitzer, as at many hotels in Europe, the furnishings vary in quality from room to room (I know that's true at the Danieli and the Imperial for instance)

We really loved the Pulitzer-- and can't wait to return again. It probably was our most relaxed and comfortable stay we've ever had in Europe.