FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TG vs SQ - Help me with this choice
View Single Post
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:22 pm
sadiqhassan

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by dg4255
Ok, here's the deal, my significant other and I will be flying HKG-SIN in May. We don't often travel to Asia so flying on Asian carriers is something rare for us. My SO could care less which airline we fly, nonstop/making 1 stop, food, lounges, etc.. , but I on the other hand am a typical FT nerd and want to go all out on this one part of the trip. Money is not a problem for this part of the trip, so F class is definitely what I would like for us. Here is my dilemma:
Good choice, I think Asian carriers are a rare treat for people that usually fly around Europe / North America.

A) We can fly on SQ nonstop, however of the 6 flights that day, only the 8am, 4pm, and 815pm flights have the SkySuite seats. Book The Cook would be great, but not for breakfast, so the 8am is definitely not a good one. The 815pm arrives so late into SIN and that is something I am not keen on. So, that leaves the 4pm flight. A bit early for dinner, I think. But, an option.
If you're splurging here, I would recommend the 77W - that would be the 4pm flight. I don't think the difference between the 744 and 77W in F is huge, but it's still a nice experience.

B) We can fly on TG from HKG to BKK at 1245pm arriving at 230pm with the new F class on a 744, then have a 5 hour layover in BKK before continuing to SIN in C class on A330. We could then take advantage of the Royal Spa in the F class lounge in BKK and perhaps some amazing Thai food (if it exists in the airport.. and it is my favourite food!!) The flight would arrive into SIN at 1050pm which is not ideal, but earlier than the 815pm SQ flight arriving at 1155pm.
I am not familiar with TG - but will you be allowed entry into the F spa if your onward flight is in C? FWIW Thai food is also my favourite, but I didn't see anything that noteworthy in BKK airport that I wanted to try. I had much better Thai food in SIN. (I was only transiting in BKK but stayed in SIN.) The airport is huge and a little confusing but I've heard excellent things about the F lounge. The A330 C class is nothing special.

Price is comparable. Not interested in flying CX. My miles will credit to BD Diamond Club. Suggestions? Ideas? Experiences? Give me your vote. I am eager to hear what all your expert Asia travellers have to say.
I would go for SQ without a doubt unless you want to enjoy the F facilities in BKK. However, have you asked your SO if he/she minds a 5 hr layover en-route. When I was booking flights for my family, I happily booked a 5 hour layover en-route to enjoy the J class lounge (in BKK ironically) but I got a yelling and was forced to change to the 2hr connection.

I assume SQ will give you more miles?

Cheers,