FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines (CI) next ST member
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:31 am
sh1982

Programs: Iberia plus plata, TAP miles&go
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
I have to admit to being very surprised at this , I would have expected all the alliances to steer clear of Taiwanese carriers for fear of upsetting the PRC - it will be interesting to see what the PRC Government would think about CZ having any form of co-operation with CI , it also seems to me that even though they cover very different markets TPE and CAN are rather close together as hubs go ( yes , I realise that they are not as close as DL's JFK hub and CO's EWR hub or NW's DTW hub , CO's CLE hub and DL's CVG hub ) considering how poor Skyteams coverage of Asia is at the moment I would have thought that MH would have brought a lot more value to the alliance than the carrier of a country which brings with it major political baggage
I think this a great thing China airlines is very nice airline with nice route network for Asia, if MH also joins in 2009 then the coverage of Asia for skyteam is really good with CI,CZ,KE,MH and NW at NRT is will rival *alliance network.I dont think the hubs thing is a problem look at *allaince they have have hubs at BKK and SIN which are also very close.I dont think the Political issue is such a big factor, every year with chinese year there a numerous charters between taiwan and the mainland s i dont think the PRC would make a big deal out of it.