FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best IC Hotel in London
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:13 am
bom_noite

Programs: Delta Million Miler / Plat, ICH RA Plat, Gold Father, Nickel Husband
Originally Posted by sammy7
Hmmmm, not very re-assuring. is Camden a generally unsafe area of town?

Sammy, you were looking, I thought, for a "Modern" hotel.

If you want Modern and location - I would strongly suggest the IC. All the rest of the HI propretys are not what you would call modern. The CP City - while more modern is not in an area I really like. It is not in a bad area - just not in one that excites me.

The only Art Deco / Modern HI property I know of is the Camden.

I have never had a problem with the staff at Camden. They are certainly not CP or IC material - but - they were accomodating. And, the area is dicey - no doubt. But, it is not Harlem! I have walked through the area at all times of day and night with no problem. And, would not hesitate taking my family to the hotel - though I never would as I have other hotels I prefer.

Some Alternatives (All in my opinion - others will no doubt disagree):

HI Mayfair: Older hotel - right across street from Green Park and Ritz. Down the street from Picadilly. An older proprety in an old building - but - I have always found it very clean! Smaller rooms. Good staff.

My second choice after CP St. James!

HI Kensington Forum: Big hotel. Staff is good - but I had a bad experience with some. I did not find them friendly. Decent sized rooms - in my opinion in need of a refurb. Not in a bad area of town - but not one that I feel any "vibe" in.

HI Regents Park: Very small rooms. Average staff. Nice breakfast spread. I would not call this Location A - but - not in a bad location with tube a short walk away. And, a stroll in Regents Park is always nice.

HI Oxford Street: Hated this hotel! Staff was terrible - small rooms with paper thin walls. Only convenient to High Street shopping. Tube a few minutes away. One and Done! Will never stay there again.

HI Kings Cross: Ok hotel, rooms were nice. But, in a dicey area (more so then Camden) and not convenient to anything! Again - once was enough.

HI Russell Square: Ok hotel - rooms need upgrade. Nice area but no tourist areas (other then British Museum) extremely close. Tube is not far away. Not one of my fav's.

CP City: Very nice hotel - nice rooms. 30 secs to Tube and Thames. And, even though it is close to many areas of interest - I never get the feel I am in the middle of things. Regardless, a nice hotel with very nice modern rooms.

IC London: Just got extensive upgrade. Very nice rooms. Art Deco. On two occassions had problems with the staff that I had to complain - and I rarely complain. But, I hold them to a higher level.

In the end - when I stay in London I want to stay close to the Action - in the middle of things. With that criteria, there are only 3 hotels that I am interested in (and will ever stay at again): IC Park Lane, CP St. James and HI Mayfair. And, bang for the buck, I always choose the later two.

Camden is a nice property and I think run by the same management as the St. James. Camden is not the greatest of areas - but - I would not call it unsafe.

Last edited by bom_noite; Jan 15, 2008 at 11:31 pm