FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Planet Hollywood 2008 [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Jan 1, 08, 11:46 pm
escog

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Arrow Planet Hollywood 2008 [Master Thread]

Just got back from 4 nights over NYE weekend at the Planet Hollywood. Checked in around 1 a.m. on Friday night, and the valet was an absolute zoo. Waited 20+ minutes just to drop off the car. They were only taking people staying at the hotel. Got checked in after a lengthy wait in the VIP line (not the clerks' fault - there were some particularly clueless guests checking in ahead of me.) For some reason, the system wasn't showing me as a Gold member, but the clerk took my word for it. No upgrade, however. Did get a room with a decent view - room 1781 - but it's near the elevators, and I could hear one wooshing by on occasion.

It's a renovated room, though no Hollywood memorabilia about. On my last trip during Thanksgiving weekend, they had a bunch of Home Alone 2 paraphenalia about in the room they gave me. Nice plasma tv, but didn't have the HD channels active. The last renovated room I had also had plasma and did have the HD channels, which was very nice; so, this was a disappointment.

Otherwise, nice enough stay - I wasn't in the room much. Avoided the valet after the Friday night difficulties. The walk wasn't as far as I feared - definitely needed the exercise. The housekeeping staff was a bit lax in resupplying the bathroom amenities. On arrival, there were 2 bottles of shower gel, one of conditioner, and one of body lotion - no shampoo. Second night, there was 1 bottle of each thing, and third night there was 2 of body lotion, one of shower gel, and of conditioner - again, no shampoo. Surprisingly, they gave me dental floss the first night, which I had never seen before, and haven't seen since.

Ate at Planet Dailies once, and it was fine. Didn't intend to gamble at the Planet Hollywood, but discovered their pleasure pit - Go-Go dancers and attractive blackjack dealers in red bustiers, hot pants, and fishnet stockings - that's just not fair.

Got the first two nights at $79 a night, booked many months ago on a special I found posted on Flyertalk. Was booked into the IP for the next two nights, but then found the Planet Hollywood at around $200 a night for the same nights through Travelocity. So, $560 for 4 nights on the strip for NYE. Can't complain at all.

Oh, and the fireworks show was very nice. From the map I saw on the Las Vegas Review Journal website, most of the hotels that were shooting off fireworks were on the same side of the strip as the Planet Hollywood. So, to see the fireworks, I had to get across the street. Found a great spot at the Bellagio - headed over around 8:30 pm - they were still letting non-guests in the hotel, had dinner, gambled, and then went out to see the fireworks around 15-20 minutes to midnight. Worked out perfectly. Getting back across the street was something of a struggle, but I'm a big guy, and survived the ordeal.

Last edited by escog; Jan 2, 08 at 9:34 am Reason: Changed Upgraded Room to Renovated Room