FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2-Class Reconfiguration and May Travel
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2007, 2:01 pm
BlueHorseShoe2000

Originally Posted by babsjvd
So, is Midwest doing away with all signature seating flights and marketing 2 x 2 for more $$$?

If they are that is trully too bad. It is one of the reasons I like flying midwest.

I dont like to fly United as I feel like it is a cattle car for the nonfrequent flyer. I hope midwest does not move that way.
All Midwest planes will have a dual cabin configuration by the end of 2008.

I'm not sure if they have a specific plan to market the new seating arrangement. What they've said so far is that passengers booking in higher fare buckets will automatically be assigned a "Signature Service" seat at the time their reservation is made. Other passengers will be allowed to up-grade to the 2x2 seating area on the day of departure for a nominal fee, provided that space is available. I believe you'll also be able to purchase a seat directly in the front of the plane no matter when you book, but it will cost you more.

Like everyone else on this board, I'll be sad to see the all 2x2 seating vanish from the 717s. However, it's important to remember why Midwest is doing this. Keep in mind that with a 2x2 configuration Midwest is losing 1/3 of the seating capacity on its 717s. That's fine as long as passengers are willing to pay for the extra comfort. Back in the 1980s and 1990s, Midwest had no problem commanding $500 to $1000 fares from business travelers, which more than off-set revenue lost from the reduced seating. Midwest (or any other carrier for that matter) is no longer able to get the fare levels needed to generate consistent profits for the company, thus the change.

Midwest's 717s will now be more like United's Premium Service between JFK and SFO/LAX. The front of the cabin will contain 40 "Signature" style seating, which increased pitch. The remaining 59 seats will be in a traditional 2x3 format. On-board service will remain the same. If only they'd follow copy United (and American) and begin installing power ports from laptops, etc. that would helpout a great deal. I still can't understand why Midwest hasn't done this yet