FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any hope for this F9 newbie?
View Single Post
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:25 am
JaggedMind

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
1.) Do any unreserved preferred seats open up 24 hours out, or at check-in? Any preference of online check-in vs. kiosk/airport?
Yes they do open up, but it seems on full flights they are still held by the agents for last minute assignments.

One thing about check-in with F9 vs. UA is that you get checked in for good. With United you can go online or to a kiosk and move seats around right up to they close the flight. With Frontier, the kiosks will refuse to help you if you have checked in online. You will need to see an agent to make changes.

2.) If I buy a higher class coach fare (Y,B,M, etc.), does that grant me access to the preferred seats?
Not sure about this, but I recall buying a last-minute Y before I had status and all but exits were open to me. Call F9 customer service, they answer quickly, and it won't be the UA ICC

The only thing preferred about the front seats is, well being in front. If you don't care about being farther back, just grab anything (except the limited recline rows if that matters to you (last row, 2nd last right row, before exit)). The exception is the rare leather seat 319s where the forward rows may have an inch or two than the rear.

3.) Any helpful hints you have for me before my first F9 flight?
Well, just remember that Frontier's seats are equivalent to United's E+, but with better IFE. Bring along headphones and a credit card. $5 for DirectTV for the whole flight, and $8 for PPV movies. I am not sure if the $8 is per movie or covers the whole flight since I fly shorter hops where they don't turn on the movies.

I'm looking to it as it will be a new airline to try, even if I don't get any UA miles.
Well, how many miles is this trip? At 15,000 you will get Ascent with is on par with 3P/2P (free TV/movies, exit rows, priority boarding/security). At 25,000 you will get Frontier's top elite (free booze, waived change/standby fees).

You are on FlyerTalk, so I know I don't have to remind you to sign up for EarlyReturns before your flight.