FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New (to me) lithium battery limits from the TSA
Old Dec 28, 2007, 1:39 pm
KathrynFlyingAway

Programs: United premier
Originally Posted by Spiff
As usual, we're on the honor system.

Simply remove any incriminating labels regarding lithium and you should be good to go. This is especially true for a carried-on battery that exceeds 2g Li+. However, you'd probably have to look pretty hard to find such a battery.
Thanks. Per Gardener's comment and yours, I think we're logically safe on the battery used for the CPAP--it is rechargeable and therefore not a lithium-metal battery.

That said, because it is
1. not part of the CPAP machine per se (it plugs in but can run on 12v), and
2. a generic non-laptop battery, I still wonder if we're actually safe on it. We know it's rechargeable. Will they know that?

It is our critical li-ion battery: he can't sleep without the CPAP, and neither could anyone nearby. We're in United Eplus for most flights, so no plugs. Guess we'll also bring the D-cell holder, even though it looks odd--like parts from Radio Shack, which it is.

I'll have to do the math later: it will run Mr. FA's CPAP machine (and/or laptop if we're not sleeping) for about 10 hours per charge iirc.

I'm increasingly glad we avoided any UK airports for our next trip to Europe: I cannot imagine us getting just our cameras, electronics and supporting equipment into UK-restricted carry-ons. We'd have to be wearing, not carrying, our 1st-day change of clothes.