FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New (to me) lithium battery limits from the TSA
Old Dec 28, 2007, 12:23 pm
KathrynFlyingAway

Programs: United premier
New (to me) lithium battery limits from the TSA

I just read about the TSA's effective-Jan-1 rules on lithium batteries via BoingBoing. As the rules will start in the middle of one trip, I should check I understand them. Also, have other countries implemented similar limits?
New TSA rules on lithium batteries

Essentially they're saying no lithium batteries at all in checked-in luggage. Theoretically you could, but they have to be installed within the device, and you're not supposed to have valuables--camera, cellphone, laptop--into checked luggage. Correct?

They're flat out forbidding any battery with more than 2 grams lithium, but you can have a battery with up to 25 lithium-grams-equivalents. Since they tell you to contact the manufacturer if *you* are unsure how much lithium is in it, then how will *they* possibly know? Should one get a note from the manufacturer / print out the webpage?

Mr. FlyingAway carries an extra battery to power a CPAP machine--a medical device. I see no discussion on the page about medical exceptions, and the battery is made by "an obscure Chinese manufacturer." That lithium battery does not look like a laptop battery, but is about the same size as one. Will the TSA have discretion to assume that similar size = similar lithium? Neither we nor any nearby passengers would want that battery taken away: no CPAP = snoring.

We could carry a spare set of 8 D-cells in a holder, although that (the plastic holder) got him weird stares in the past.

All of my and Mr. FlyingAway's spare camera batteries will have to be in our carry-on luggage, right? We do this anyways, so that's not a worry to us. Finding out how much lithium is in his CPAP battery within the next few days is a worry.

(It also seems--though it doesn't apply to me--that Audio/Visual professionals are in trouble, here, because they couldn't possibly carry-on all of their battery-using equipment.)