FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deaf FTers?
Thread: Deaf FTers?
View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2007, 3:54 pm
KiwiSurfer

Programs: NZ/QF/BA
Originally Posted by Wiggums
I have encountered Scots who used one-handed fingerspelling and they came from a very small school in Glasgow. It's not consistent throughout the UK. The Irish "H" is different from ours, but the Scots had the same "H" as ASL. I will never understand the UK.
The UK seems quite consistent to me -- all the people from the UK, including all England, Ireland and Scotland, that I've met use the standard BSL/NZSL/Auslan two-hand alphabet.

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Easy. He knows ASL. I don't know NZ signs but I have been under the impression it is similar to Australian Sign Languge, which is simiilar to BSL. I'm sure Kiwisurfer can confirm or not. I know Danish Sign Language plus many international signs though. I love international conferences with multiple signed languages used.
NZSL and Auslan are based off BSL with lots of regional variances. Hence Auslan, NZSL and BSL users can easily communicate with each other. There are a few significant differences but it's quite easy to understand and learn BSL/Auslan if you already know NZSL like I do.

I went to the WFD Conference in Spain in July -- did any of you go there?

Regards,
James