FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [GONE: left 29Feb16] Hotel Kamp Helsinki, Finland, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]
Old Dec 19, 2007, 2:45 pm
EWR ATC Hold

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
The OP beat me to it. I stayed in the Hotel Kamp this past weekend as well. I do have to say I had remarkably different impressions of the hotel. Here's my trip report:

Arrival
This trip was half pleasure/half work (had to be in meetings on Monday in Helsinki). Arrived on Saturday morning to find my secretary failed to include my SPG number on the reservation. Generally, I find this causes problems and generally the loss of any upgrade. On the contrary, without any prompting, the front desk person acknowledged my status right away and searched for a good room. We ended up in room 613, a rather large suite overlooking the esplanade. I would probably go as far as saying this was one of the nicest upgrades I've ever had. More about the room later. The only downside to the check in process is that my contracted work rate was for 1 person, but my wife accompanied me and they had the gall to charge me an extra 10 euro.

Room
As noted, upgraded to a beautiful suite. Living room with huge bookshelves, complete with books. Multiple windows, overlooking the esplanade. Long hallway, separate bedroom and very large bathroom with stall shower, double sink and full separate tub. Only downside, the shower leaked excessively onto the bathroom floor (nice shower though!), which got annoying. Honestly though, didn't complain about it and only mentioned it as a heads up to them after checking out.

Service
Decent, but not superb. We tried to get a spa appointment, no go. Tried again with the concierge playing the plat status, he tried, still no go, fully booked. The sauna's were nice, but they didn't have a pool. Room service comes with a 10 euro surcharge. Overall costs of hotel were expensive but restaurants were decent. Breakfast typical expensive breakfast for europe, but much more limited selection for your 30 euros. Pillows sucked (flimsy ones). WE tried ordering off the pillow menu, but they never brought up our request.

Overall
Not the greatest city, especially in the winter. Hotel is deserving of "luxury collection" branding. Room was one of the best I've had (I'd say the better ones I've stayed at is the Westin Excelsior in Rome (upgrade to a nice suite) and the Diplomat in Ft. Lauderdale (corner suite) and St. Louis Westin (huge suite)).

I have to differ with the OP though--never noticed the noise (his Problem 3) and definitely had hot water (his problem 1). His problem 2 didn't come up because we didn't need compensation for anything.

So, I liked the hotel, would stay there again if in Helsinki.