FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Re-route due to weather; Original EQM/EQS?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:32 am
exerda
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I would just try calling first.
I sent an e-mail the day of travel. Got a response today that "Sorry for the problems in your trip, but we cannot accommodate your request. Here's 2k RDM as a goodwill gesture."

I called today, after giving time for all of the segments to post. It took four calls to MP to get it done, and then it was the infamous "one time exception."

The first agent two agents said that I can only get credit for the miles flown, not what is purchased (one almost said verbatim what zrs70 quoted below about "frequent flier not buyer program," and I really had to bite my tongue and say, "Well, I guess you won't be too upset then if my buying frequency drops to 0 with UA." They also made very clear that this is the "new policy" which "took effect this year," and that if I had been re-routed onto another airline, it would be different--but on UA you "get what you fly."

The third claimed the same as the above, and added that had it been a mechanical, I'd have been good, but "we can't control the weather, so we cannot grant your request." I love how they all thanked me for my loyalty, too, when at the same time basically telling me to fly a kite.

Finally, when calling the fourth time, I omitted any mention of the weather and stressed that United rerouted me automatically and that I needed the miles to make 1P and was not flying again this year. I also gave a small white lie and said the CSR I spoke to in DEN told me to call MP and that they'd fix the credit (she said "I think they might do that," not "they will do that.") I hate to do that, but I was tired of calling back.

The guy I spoke to said he'd check with his supervisor and then after several minutes explained that "normally we don't do this," that "you get credit for only what you flew," etc., basically made it sound like it was pulling teeth, but credited the miles while I was on the phone and then congratulated me for making 1P again.

Originally Posted by zrs70
Most MP agents are great. Every once in a while, I get someone who says, "This is a frequent flyer program, nor a frequent buyer program." You can tell that these agents have received call after call, and are a little tired with what they do!
Yep, and I was fed almost that exact line, too.

What gets me is that UA has not had a problem doing this for me before. Maybe it is indeed a "new policy," since all four agents I spoke to made that claim (plus the e-mail I got), but dealing with MP CS should really not be like a trip to the dentist. I am thinking of sending a postal letter to UA to that effect, given the several occasions this year where I have had to make multiple calls to get a simple issue taken care of.