FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official LGW Routes Axed: ABZ, NCE, PRG, KEF, SPU
Old Nov 30, 2007, 3:01 pm
Alvador

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by Bukhara
The affected services (hitherto known as the 'Gatwick 5') are clearly cancelled flights. I don't think anybody has a problem with that.

Article 5 of EU Reg says that BA should offer assistance as per Article 8 (namely reimbursement, rerouting etc).

Article 5 goes further to state that BA should offer assistance as per Article 9 (accommodation, transport etc).

Article 5 then goes into compensation territory whereby BA should offer assistance as per Article 7.

This all applies UNLESS :
(i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two
weeks before the scheduled time of departure
Sorry, but this is complete nonsense. The EU Regulations are there for anyone to read and are entirely clear and unambiguous on this point. The limitation on passengers' rights when they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure applies only to Article 7 Right to compensation and not to Article 8 Right to reimbursement or re-routing nor to Article 9 Right to care.

Originally Posted by spanishflea
If you wish to take BA to court as graraps suggests, you would be doing a lot of people a favour.

This isn't the place to be debating the letter of the regulations themselves, it is the place to be listening to people who know what they are talking about and you making a choice accordingly.
I don't have a reservation on one of the cancelled flights and therefore have no reason to ask anything of BA let alone take them to court. However, like most people who fly reasonably frequently I am from time to time affected by cancellations and delays. I think it is, therefore, useful to be aware of the "letter of the regulations" which apply in these circumstances.

When Bukhara, a BA employee, misquotes the regulations and argues that it is a waste of time for passengers whose flights have been cancelled to request re-routing from BA, I think it is appropriate to refute what he says by referring to the details of the regulations. I'm not suggesting for a moment that Bukhara is deliberately attempting to mislead us. Rather, I suspect he has been affected by a "culture of denial" of the implications of EU Regulation No 261/2004 at BA and other airlines.