FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RealDLInsider - Latest News ...
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:06 pm
avflyer

Programs: DL PM, Marriott G, Hilton G
Originally Posted by RealDLInsider
SkyChoice Changes … It’s gotten quite a bit from the press and on flyertalk and I understand most is negative. As much as I realize that no one wants to believe me, and that some will never trust me, the reality is that the change is immaterial overall and will not devalue the currency. It would not be in my or Delta’s best interest to do anything that would have a material effect on the value of the currency, for a program that drives many billions of dollars in incremental business. Also, like most customer-oriented organizations in the airline industry, your job is a balance of giving and taking. This was a giveback to our revenue management organization to help protect the most valuable and profitable flights where we can fill the aircraft will full-fare paying customers, and in exchange, I believe got something bigger. The problem right now is that the customer takeaway is public, but the customer giveback is not. Once everything comes out and the SkyChoice change is in place, then maybe you’ll let me continue the debate?
Jeff
Jeff, as others have stated, thanks for joining us and for answering some questions. If for one, am with you on the giveback to revenue management and take your word that the reduction in SC inventory will be minor.

Sadly, all this talk about Sky Choice, Sky Choice, Sky Choice, I feel is a distraction from a more serious issue regarding changes to Sky Saver availability.

1) Not loading seats in at the 331 window is a huge disappointment and one that makes it very hard to plan all the other aspects of travel (organizing with family/friends/associates, cruises, hotels, inter-Europe travel, etc.). I have heard others say that DL never had an official policy for loading at the 331 day window. To this I say NOT TRUE. For years I have been able to book such travel. This year (for next summer) the game was changed.

2) By selectively loading such inventory when Delta feels like it, you cause us, your most important customers (or so you say) to continuously check inventory which is frankly insulting as it wastes my (our) valuable time.

3) By waiting to load seats until you can determine how well the route will sell out, what you are really saying is that more and more seats will most likely load very close to departure and perhaps not at all. Essentially, a massive reduction in SS award seats. I say, Delta must allocate a small portion of most of its daily routes for SS redemption.

While all of us here want Delta to succeed, we have a right to expect that these seats will be available to us during prime time and not just during off-peak travel times. We have a right to expect to be able to book a return from Europe within a vacation time frame (a week or two) to attach to the outbound flight we were able to score. We have a right plan our trips in advance and not just at the last minute. And since our time is money too, we have a right to expect to book such travel without having to make calling Delta (or going on line) a late night (for east coaster's) daily ritual. I need my beauty sleep.

And in exchange, Delta has the right to expect that we will remain loyal to her.