FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 15,000 seek to clear their name from no-fly list
Old Nov 7, 07, 9:24 pm
NY-FLA

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by magiciansampras View Post
I wonder if there exists a reasonable way to keep such a list of actual dangerous people. I'm not talking one that is 49,000 long, but maybe 100-200 long.
Not really. Think it through. Assume for a moment (for the sake of dsicussion) that this list has any effect whatsoever. If the list was then optimimzed for effectiveness, it would have but one name on it, let's say for the sake of argument, Osama hisself. Every TSA officer at all dragnets, large and small, would be on full alert for OBL. Clearly, if OBL wanted to travel in the US he:
1) would not travel under his real name
2) Would have bulletproof ID under a false name. (Think passport from somewhere in the Muslim world, perhaps backed up by a DL from a European state.)
3) would have changed his appearance completely.
and 4) would have his new image on said bulletproof ID's.

Unless OBL's new image was a tube of toothpaste, or a 3.5 oz. bottle of liquid, I would contend there's not a screener out there that could or would catch this. I contend that if you or I knew with certainty that he was in a group of a dozen people and the above 4 steps had been completed by professionals, our odds of correctly ID'ing the new, revised OBL would be ~1 in 12. (Refer to the Ramsi Yousef case, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah.)
IMO the agitah about ID is a sham perpetrated by that most dangerous of all things, a group of shallow thinking bureaucrats with far too much power.
When challenged effectively, the group can always retort "the 9-11 report makes us do this."