FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-crew employees cutting security line
View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:59 pm
hmpilot

I am a pilot for a major airline would like to add my two cents to this discussion.

When I have to go through security at an airport that does not have an employee line I don't necessarily like cutting in front of passengers. I try to find a natural break and fall into the line. I will cut to the very front only if time is an issue. The funny thing is that most of the time, passengers are all too happy to let me get in front of them.

I would like to point out some reasons why crews are given front of the line access:

1. If I am transferring from an International flight to a domestic one, I have to reclear security. If I am not allowed front of the line access it delays my arrival to my next flight.

2. If I am on reduced rest and not given front of the line access, my flight the next day may be delayed.

3. A pilot on call may be given 2 hours notice for a flight assignment. If he gets to the airport and has to wait 30 minutes in a security lane, his flight may be delayed.

4. If I am going to be on duty for 13 hours I certainly don't want to stand in line for an excess period of time before going to work.

There are many other scenarios I can list. Due to the unpredictable nature of security lines, front of the line access is necessary to try to insure on time departures. The TSA does not give much in the way of special treatment to flight crews. For them to allow and even encourage this practice shows that even they see the necessity in it.

I am sorry for those who feel slighted by this, but when there is no dediciated employee line, we don't have much other choice.