FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-crew employees cutting security line
View Single Post
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:07 am
AngryDan

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
I am not paid to stand in line for work, either. Yet, I am required to fly for work on a regular basis. My employer will allow me to charge the actual flight time, including connection time at another airport. But, I cannot charge the following hours:
  • Time waiting in bassackwards in-security lines
  • Time waiting for the originating flight, since we have to get to the terminal a minimum of 90 minutes according to TSA recommendations

All of that is considered personal time, classified as "commuting" and not chargeable to my employer or customers. Gotta love getting screwed out a minimum of 2 hours away from my family, without compensation, just to make a living every time I have to fly. Yes, I chose this career, it pays me well and I like doing it. I also like flying. I realize I could change careers, and choose not to. Thus, I ..... about things here and write almost constant streams of letters to my State and Federal representatives. All of them fall on deaf ears.

Your time to get to your job at the damn insecurity c/p is also commuting time, both before and after breaks, and should be subject to the same asinine waiting periods and ID checks and shoe/liquid carnivals as the Public you serve.

Cutting to the front of airport security lines is not a benefit your employer can offer. It is a benefit that airport tenants can offer their employees. And it doesn't cost these employers anything.

Similarly flight benefits are only an option for the airlines. It is a wonderful benefit that airlines can give to their employees. But it is not available for people who don't work for the airlines. Every organization because of the business that they are in has all sorts of privileges and benefits that they can give to their employees that are unique to that company. I would love to have flight benefits, but not enough to work for the airlines.

Your employer CHOOSES not to compensate you for wait times at the airport. It does have this option. I'm certain that if enough people in your position quit or wouldn't take a job at your company because of this issue, they would reconsider their policy.

Angry Dan