FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-crew employees cutting security line
View Single Post
Old Oct 31, 2007, 2:40 pm
WineIsGood

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Originally Posted by APW Girl
First of all the employees you are complaining about, just might be the owner of a store that does well over a million a year and they may not be lower to you on the income ladder. Secondly, just because someone has elite status with an airline doesn't mean they are of the elite. It means they sit on planes a lot. In the last six years, I have been to Austria 9x; France 13x; Budapest 2x; Prague 2x; Amsterdam 1x; Cuba 1x; Rio 1x and 3x to Singapore. I'm not travelling on someone else's dime either. Our store was rated number one in airport customer service along with other awards. I love travelling but I also learn a lot that helps me to help my customers. I just may know as much, if not more what they will need to make their travel smoother and easier. And I'm adding to my knowledge at my own expense. I have some truly wonderful customers and many of them count on my having current information from my own travels to help them with their needs. So I consider myself more of a professional in the area in which I work. I guess the bottom line is that I have a bit of a problem with your attitude and assumptions about people working in airports.
I'm disturbed to read this - I come from a low-income background, have worked low, medium, and medium-high income jobs, and I hope my posts indicate I believe my time to be EQUALLY valuable as anyone else in the security line, including airport vendors. That's why I think they should get in the line with the rest of us rather than cut. Frankly, I think there are good arguments for them to just show their airport ID to the TSA person at the security exit and go through the exit rather than the entrance.

What ticks me off is when people think their time is more valuable than mine - which is the message sent by cutting in line.