Seat 12E
Gate C6

Scheduled Departure 1040 hrs
Actual Airborne 1049 hrs
Runway 11 R

Scheduled Arrival 1230 hrs
Actual Landing 1223 hrs
Runway 01R

An early morning start at 0630 as I have managed to chance my flight from TG685 (evening) to TG683, departing at 1040. So working backwards, and accounting for the 50 minute journey to Noi Bai airport, I figure I should depart the Hilton around 0745. I much prefer my spare time 'airside', safely checked in, than arriving at the last minute (at least, whenever possible).

In the end I depart around 0815 as I needed to make some calls and fire up the laptop. My cab driver is a lady - rather unusual for Vietnam. She assures me she provide change for USD 20 on arrival - normal fare is either USD14,or around VND 270,000 (or USD 17-ish). Picking our way through downtown Hanoi is an experience still, notwithstanding that I've done it many times in the past. The Vietnamese have taken to motorcycles like ... well ... ducks to water! There are apparently road rules, but it is really the Law of the Jungle here - 'might has right'. There are a number of interesting sights on the way to the large bridge over the Red River - after that the scenery becomes a bit 'developmentally-industrial'.

We arrive at the Terminal around 0900 with 268,000 VND on the meter - using her mobile phone, the cab driver shows USD 17. I round it up to USD20, receiving a huge smile (and receipt) - a good start so far. The Terminal is even more chaotic than usual - masses of people throng the place, although many seem to be extended family seeing a loved on off at the airport - perhaps an indicator that air travel is still a relative (No pun intended) novelty. The THAI check-in counter is open and the queue for Royal Silk Class (TG's Biz Class) is mercifully short. I have just my rollaboard and laptop, so no checked luggage. I'm handed a Lounge Entry certificate and I'm on my way to Immigration.

Throngs again at the entry, but 90% are well wishes (or perhaps the curious). Speedily through Immigration and to the security X-Ray machine. A Brit 4-some are needing to show tickets, so we wait patiently. Until, that is, some people try 'short-cutting' the line. The staff are good and send them back to the back of the queue. Some more attempts and elbowing past by a lady in a hurry. having worked around asia for a while now. I block her path and point to the back of the line with a big smile - she, somewhat unhappily, gets the message. The Brits sort things out in (only) 2-3 minutes and we all. Annoyingly now, even as we are placing items on the X-Ray belt, others from behind are almost lobbing their bags over my head onto the belt - sigh.

I get my stuff done and hasten to the Lounge ... or where the Lounge used to be. dark and very closed looking. There is a scrappy note saying the Lounge has relocated to the second floor. Its 0925 now, but I figure that it is worth a look, for the sake of other FTers. The second floor is pretty sparse, just a public restaurant and another gift shop. But I do spy the new Lounge on the north-western side of the floor in a great spot overlooking the main runways and apron. It is 6 times larger than the previous lounge, which frankly became packed very easily, and only had about 3 powerpoints for laptops! A nice computer bay, expansive bar/food area - although the offerings are only so-so, a quiet TV area, and a massive wrap-around vista of the apron/runway . All in all, a great improvement, but nowhere near as classy as the new *A Lounge in Ho Chi Minh City.

As I take my seat, I see my aircraft touchdown, so I decide I have 30 mins before packing up and going to board. Finish off some work, have a sprite, and then get going. Boarding has commenced by the time I get down, but with no-one in the Biz lane (thanks to some efficient pax control by staff) I walk on-board - again, amongst the very first pax by chance it seems and in my seat at 1028.

Today I am seated forward in the main Biz cabin, which means that only a few 'lost' economy pax wander past. Biz load is very light at 11 out of a possible 46. The purser and Load Control guy are paying enormous attention to the pax in 11A/B (Row 11 is always the first row of biz in all of TG's fleet) - I check in-flight later on and am told he is one of the (many) Vice-Presidents of THAI travelling with a female companion.

Lots of room for cabin crew to attend to the few pax, so hot towel at 1032, Drink (Champagne), menu and papers all delivered by 1033. Crew are friendly and efficient. My meal order is taken at 1036 (Fish), and in the time I've decided, the doors are closed. We push-back a minute later and are taxiing at 1043. During the taxi, one of the more junior cabin crew attempts to collect the champagne glass (still 1/2 full) from a pax in 11K. He says 'don't worry, I'll hold on to it', she asks again and he politely insists. We start to turn and line-up, and she is summoned to take her seat. I couldn't help but make comment to guy that there are safety reasons why the glassware should be collected for TakeOff and Landing - mainly to prevent it becoming a loose object flying around the cabin in the event of a rejected takeoff - and that my interest was personnel, I'm sharing the cabin with him and his glass - he didn't care... (I mentioned this to the Purser later, as it seemed to me that the Cabin Crew member should have stuck to her guns and insisted. He agreed and apologised for the failure.)

Lined upon Runway 11R at 1048, and rotated at 1049 into a dull and bleak sky. Very soon after the aircraft has been cleaned up, the 'relax' chime is sounded by the guys up front and at 1053, my table is set. Meal service begins at 1101. I'd selected the deep-fried groper, which was very good. many food,though, appeared to favour the beef. I'm finished eating quite quickly, but I am enjoying the white wine, and have a second glass. again, no time to notice the label, and can't be bothered to go for a look in the galley.

In-flight conditions are smooth, and CAPT Kosit advises at 1108 that we'll be flying over Vientiane (VTE), Lao PDR, then tracking west of Khon Kaen to Bangkok. He estimates arrival at 1225, which includes tracking to the south and making our approach to the north. Having scanned the Bangkok Post, I decide that completing the sudoku should fill in the time prior to arrival - and I make with time to spare! (Ok, it was 'easy', but it still takes time....).

TOD is at 1155, power is reduced and we commence descent. Orchids and playing cards are distributed to all pax. The weather is clear, but slightly choppy due to the usual convective turbulence, especially once we get below 8000'. We touch down on Runway 01R into a reasonable northerly breeze, followed by a relative fast taxi to the vicinity of Concourse A. We appear to dock at an airbridge near A2 at 1230. Alas, it is spot A1A, also known as theh apron, and into a bus we descend. There is no special bus for Biz pax (drat!), and even the VP is slumming it with the rest of us. There are some grumbles, but I know that I'll be at Immigration faster than even I (or Kiwi-Flyer) could possibly do by 'power-striding' !!

I'm in the Immigration Line at 1240, and after a 5 inute ponder over the peculiarities of my PP, I am off with no bags towards customs. Waved through and in the car at 1249. In the office downtown Bangkok by 1330 sipping my restorative Starbucks. Another interesting trip on THAI completed.

This is, of course, just a starter. Tomorrow, I'll be trying for a standby upgrade to F on THAI BKK-HKG, followed by HKG to AKL in C. I'm too tired to be too excited - so much on at work and at home that I'm feeling quite jaded.

Piccy links when I have a moment tomorrow am.....

PS (for aiyapk)
I quizzed the Purser about the 'dogbox' question. Although a small dog could be deposited there, it is just a small drawer thingy where menus and stuff are stored. It does look like a dogbox though....

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Oct 31, 2007 at 2:09 am