FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you think TSA would catch this?
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:57 pm
stupidhead

Put me in charge. Get rid of this whole shoe carnival, liquid idiocy, whatever. Make screeners more accountable (i.e. give managers the ability to fire screeners on the spot if they catch incompetence, chatting on the job, harassment, etc. and there will be a "customer service" review every week. If the screeners are perceived as anything less than highly professional, everyone from supervisor up will be FIRED on the spot. Right there. By the person conducting the review. I may conduct some reviews personally. That should scare them into acting like professionals.) Get rid of all the asinine policies that give screeners unfettered authority. There will be a random test twice a week. Miss ONE suspicious item, THE ENTIRE SECURITY DEPARTMENT, from the bottom level screener, to the director of security at that airport is FIRED. On the spot. It's obviously someone in civilian clothes brings a suspicious object through. They miss it, the person shows their badge, says "You're all fired, turn in your badges, IDs, and everything else by the end of the day." Yes, right there, in front of the passengers. Not laid off, not on probation, not "suspended", straight-up pink-slip Trump-style fired. Then see how long it takes for security to improve....if the reason it'll improve is fear of getting fired, so be it. It might involve huge human resource costs for a few months, until the employees get so scared ........ that they're going to be fired that they'll start using their brains. Of course, all new hires will be required to have some experience in security of some kind, and no, mall cop doesn't count. I have sub-zero tolerance for incompetence. When millions of lives are at stake, nothing short of perfection should be tolerated.

Now THAT'S how you run an efficient and effective organization. You bet if El Al security acted like TSA they'd find themselves fired very quickly. I mean, come on, why do you think people who work for private companies care about doing a great job so much? Because unlike in government work, they don't perform, they get canned. VERY QUICKLY.

Basically:
Unprofessional conduct-fired.
Harassment-fired.
Abuse of managerial discretion-fired.
Anything short of perfection-fired.
Making up rules on the spot-fired.
Breaking passengers' stuff-fired, held personally liable.
Anything short of total focus on the job-fired.
Anything short of the utmost in professionalism-fired.

Now THAT'S accountability. If they act out of line in the slightest manner, they lose their jobs. They wouldn't DARE risk their posh mid five figures salary for some asinine power trip.

Last edited by stupidhead; Oct 30, 2007 at 12:15 am