FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 81 yr old, arrested and frogmarched through JFK. We're all safer now
Old Oct 27, 2007, 7:43 am
NY-FLA

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by civicmon
I'm going to safely say that they're illegal in NYC. Posession/ownership of such would be illegal.

If he did use it as a paperweight and bought it when it was legal... that's fine.

If he's moving to FL, why not just put it into checked luggage or a shipping box?

Brass Knuckles are -not- fun to be hit with.
Your illegality premise in NYC is probably correct, although I'm not sure that time of purchase would make any difference to local enforcement and prosecution.
The TSA web-site states that brass-knuckles are not permitted in carry-on but are permitted in checked baggage.
Leaving aside the obvious illogic of why brass knuckles are more of a threat to aviation than, for instance, canes, as carry on; I can't recall when the TSA mob was charged with enforcing any local regulations. If brass knuckles are permitted in checked luggage, do the TSA "officers" bring in local LEO's when they find such, or is the enforcement illegally selective, in addition to being illegally beyond scope.

I also find the lack of sympathy for an 81-year old man being handcuffed and frogmarched through the dragnet enforcement checkpoint (oh yeah, airport), at least in the first few posts, kind of distressing . I suspect that anyone who ever fell on the wrong side of the TSA Barney Fife impersonators would recognize, with sympathy, yet another instance of an ineffectual federal agency gone beserk.

Is it close to media sweeps?... this would be a great story for that purpose. (The story of the octogenarian with the "sharp medal" still resonates.)

The only bright side I see to this instance is a some additional observers, here and at JFK, gain opportunities to recognize the TSA for the overreaching ineffectual sham that it is. Are we near a tipping point yet?

Last edited by NY-FLA; Oct 27, 2007 at 11:41 am Reason: Line up fact I misread in OP