FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KTTC.com (Rochester, MN): Flying With Peace of Mind
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:51 am
essxjay
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
KTTC.com (Rochester, MN): Flying With Peace of Mind

LINK

We've all heard the horror stories about flight delays and lost luggage. Yet another concern now about what's said to be a growing number of cases where stuff is stolen from your luggage.

[....]

O'Regan Thiele says, "You have to leave your luggage unlocked, which is great for security and I'm very willing to do that, but I'm not there if they are looking through it later; like after it goes and check in luggage I don't see it again."

After you check in your luggage, it's stored behind these walls. TSA says at most luggage is left alone for 10-15 minutes but there's always an employee walking around.

The Transportation Security Administration says two of its employees check bags for security issues, and then it's up to airline employees to keep an eye on the luggage.

[....]

At Rochester International Airport TSA reports eight stolen property claims in 2006 for a total of more than $2,000.

And, there are already five claims this year.

But, in the last three years at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport there've been more than 900 stolen property claims worth more than $427,000.

TSA says those number are inflated due to dual claims.