FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia's financial difficulties
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:53 am
paffendorf

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by Dovster
Even for leisure travellers, MXP makes more sense.

Most tourists come in on flights from the North (be it trans-Atlantic flights or flights from Northern Europe). A much smaller number come in from Africa or the Middle East.

Moreover, a lot of these tourist want to go to north Italy. Venice, Florence, and Verona/Garda are big attractions (and Milan a smaller one). Indeed, quite a few are heading to Ticino in southern Switzerland.

Someone who wants to go to Rome will not be too put out by having to connect in MXP -- at least he will not be backtracking. For those headed to Naples or Sicily, it makes no difference at all if he connects in FCO or MXP.

But for those heading to Northern cities, connecting in FCO makes it a much longer trip. I foresee many of these flying into AMS, CDG, ZRH, or FRA and connecting there -- costing AZ a very big segment of its business.
With all the due respect, even if i live in Milan, i can grant u beyond any doubt that the turistic flow to Rome is far far far larger than all other flows 2gether.

And anyway u should consider that the choice made about Rome makes definitely more sense if u're seeking a bidder among LH or AF.

Luke