FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia's financial difficulties
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:26 pm
SEAUAKID

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
*Flame suit on*

As someone born and raised in Italy, I feel I can provide a candid idea for Alitalia.

It needs to be shut down, so the trade union contracts are ended. Then, the next day, a new (private) owner can restart operations THEIR WAY, and not have to worry so much about the unions going on strike and the like. They can hire the best of the Alitalia crowd, and bring in some foreign management gurus to make the tough, but necessary decisions for the new company.

They need to standardize the fleet, and upgrade the premium cabins and lounges. That is almost as urgent as my next point.

The new owners need to pick the best hub for the business. Not two hubs, just one. Milan is where businesspeople want to go, but FCO is where most of the tourists want to go. The new company must decide whether they want to target business customers (which they would need new biz class for) or leisure travellers.

Up until now, the politicians have always known that Milan needs to be the hub for Alitalia. However, they want to satisfy those in the south of Italy, as well as have nonstop routes from the seat of government.

I know it will be a tough road, but AZ can not continue on the dead end road they are currently on.

Last edited by SEAUAKID; Oct 23, 2007 at 8:38 am