FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moving to NZ: Is Airpoints the Best Choice?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:28 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Depends on the upgrade method and status.

Using airbucks you can get confirmable upgrades (subject to availability) at the time of request. These cost a lot.

Using airbucks you can also request standby upgrades. These may or may not confirm immediately, after some time, or never.

Using status evouchers upgrades are standby, and processed by status. Gold Elite up to 12 months (so can confirm immediately but won't necessarily do so), Gold shorter period and Silver shorter again. These seem to have higher priority than airbucks standby upgrades, which makes sense given the evouchers expire.

Using *A miles upgrades are standby only. I don't know but suspect these have lowest priority of the lot.
Hence my preference to collect miles, and buy confirmed awards in C when I want to fly up front... And its looking like I may hit another 55k with BMI this year (I did 55k to hit *G), which will mean 625% of flown, if I fly in F, so a TG LHR-AKL-LHR, may be worthwhile if a good offer comes up... That will pretty much net me 2 x C class cash&miles return on NZ... subject to finding a seat.....

tht