FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Inside a suspicious package
View Single Post
Old Oct 14, 2007, 4:04 pm
Xyzzy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Andy1369
What I don't understand is why TSA didn't simply page her on the PA system and ask her to come and explain what was in the bag? Much easier than a terminal dump.
They did page her -- after they dumped the terminal.

Originally Posted by Bart
From my experience with the 2500 and 5500 CTX models, none of these items would alarm in the manner described in the story. The Little Rock police officer's reference to an item appearing bright red on the x-ray screen tells me that she had a paste, gel or other substance of similar consistency and density inside her bag. ... But I cannot rule out the possibility that she was told the cause of the alarm was a jar of peanut butter, tubes of toothpaste, etc. which would take the wind out of her sails if the purpose of her story is to portray airport security as absurd.
Bart, you are usually a TSA voice of reason around here. Are you really saying that dumping the terminal because someone packs peanut butter or toothpaste in a checked bag is not absurd? Given the current rules, those items can't be in carryon bags. They are pretty common items.

The CTX scanners are said to falsely alarm for books and chocolate too. How comforting to know that we should apparently add peanut butter and toothpaste to the list