FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Da Nang/Hoi An Area Hotels
View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 2007, 10:32 am
greatam

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler

Greatam, since you have spent time in the area, how would you compare the Furama with the Nam Hai?
I have not stayed at the Nam Hai, although I been there a couple of times for drinks/food/meeting. I have business (international logistics) in Vietnam and Hoi Ann is not the place I need to be. I need to be around the container port.

IF you want total luxury, the Nam Hai is the place to stay. But again, for the difference in price, I don't think the Nam Hai expense is justified. The villas at Nam Hai are much larger than even the suites at the Furama. From comments made by local business associates, the Nam Hai set the rates to compete with the Ana Mandara.

However, the main focus of the enclave was sales/leases of villas. The "owned" rooms are then placed into a rental pool if the owners desire. The hotel portion had to be built due to Vietnamese laws about foreigners "owning" the villas and being able to rent them out. Another thing that really gets to my local business associates-the Nam Hai CLAIMS it is on China Beach. Well, the largest USA military installation (Army and Marines) was based in DaNang, 20 miles from Hoi An. And the Furama is on China Beach, the real one made famous by the TV show. If you leave the Furama and travel south on the road outside the hotel, you can still see lots of US military stuff.

I usually pay about $225.00 for an Ocean Studio at the Furama. I don't spend a lot of time around the pool, but I do go to the beach right outside my room every morning and either watch or participate with the locals in their exercise. There is an outside bar and service is VERY good. Room service is EXCELLENT and their business center has everything I need and very helpful attendants. I especially like the little beach bar in the evenings. Seems to be a gathering point. And the food in the Indochine is varied and delicious.

Your choice-do you want to be based south of Hoi An or do you want to be in Danang??? I guess that would be the first criteria.