FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airplane mode??
Thread: Airplane mode??
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:00 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by bonoman
I hate this whole mess as well. Some FAs are very nazi-like about anything that's remotely close to a rule and really run with that "Its illegal to ignore their instructions" rule from the FAA. "Put your seat back up NOW!" I've heard them bark on a first pass through instead of "Sir, please put your seat back up."

Can't you wait until their figure out that 90% of all laptops have wireless cards in them, just transmitting happily away, probably at wattages much stronger than cellphones? Cellphone are what? 300-500mW's? I'd guess a wireless card is 1+ watt? They'll start snapping at people for using laptops next.

Else, on NW, I've left my phone off until wheels are down. Usually trying to nab 1 or 2 B/C, I turn it on after the reverse thrusters kick in. Since the other 7-15 seats around me do the same thing, we all know, and the FA has never said anything then.
I now disable my wireless network (saves a little power as well) and my Bluetooth before getting on the plane (or immediately after startup in the few cases where I was rushed and forgot to do it before hibernating it). I'm surprised they don't go around checking the laptops. I think I've only heard it mentioned a few times, probably by the same FAs that specifically said GPS receivers were okay.