FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Confusion on Medical Shoes/Appliances
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:28 pm
baglady
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
TSA Confusion on Medical Shoes/Appliances

I posted on a separate thread regarding going through with broken toes about the problem I had at EWR with my walking cast. I was told that unless it was "Screwed into my leg" I had to take it off. After speaking with the TSA (I also contacted several media agencies and was told EWR as usual) they said there was no such policy and apologized.

Today, my 6th airport in 4 days, I arrived at my home airport IAH and after setting off the alarm, was told I'd have to "take it off". I asked when the policy changed and she told me she was told yesterday. The female assist came to me and was told my TSA at detector that I would have to take it off. She asked "When did that start" and was told "Today". I said I wanted to see the change in writing. My female assist went to her supervisor and told me they would just need to swab it since it was a new rule (covering). They had no written directive they could show me.

I immediately got on the phone with TSA and they told me no rule existed. I told them they needed to get this taken care of because I was tired of being hassled when tsa.gov was clear on what is acceptable through the checkpoint.

He agreed and apologized. Also, I was asked what happened to me and what was wrong with me.