FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St Regis Aspen, Colorado [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:28 am
Anglo Large Clawed Otter
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
My stay here on Saturday was pleasant. Though there was no Junior Suite or Suite upgrade available, I received an upgrade to a corner deluxe room on the top floor with a nice view of the mountain-side. Apparently, this hotel does not offer points as an amenity, but does offer other perks, such as free Spa access (usually $25 per person), and free morning coffee downstairs.

I gave the Spa a try, and was quite impressed. Very nice changing rooms, excellent robes, nice hot-tub, cold plunge pool, warm pool w/waterfalls, and good steam room. Also, Spa access included access to a quiet lounge with snacks and drinks, as well as access to an oxygen lounge. The oxygen lounge had extremely comfortable couches, as well as the option of hooking oneself up to an oxygen generator.

The deluxe room itself was not huge, but was fair-sized (perhaps 300-350 sq. ft.). The bed was quite comfortable, but not as comfortable as many W beds I have slept on. I hate to say it, as I hate the St. Regis Houston...but that hotel actually has far comfier beds than the St. Regis Aspen. The bathroom was also very nice, with much marble, and a tub-shower combo containing a very nice extra-wide showerhead. The LCD TV on the Bureau was also very nice, as were the excellent dark chocolates provided by the hotel.

The one odd portion of the stay occurred when I inquired about emptying the mini-bar or having a separate fridge sent up. I was informed that the hotel levied a $100 charge for such services . Instead, I just called room service and had a champagne bucket of ice sent up to ice down the beer we had purchased in town (all for a cost of $0). Charging $100 to empty a mini-bar and issue a receipt is simply ridiculous.

At the off-season rate I booked, I thought I received a great deal for my stay at the St. Regis. I doubt I would pay to stay here during the high season (would likely use points). The rack-rate posted on the closet door for the deluxe room I stayed in was $805 for summer, and $1,850 for winter. No way I would stay at those rates. However, the shoulder-season turned out to be great, as trees in town were displaying fall colors, and it even snowed whilst we were there (about 1/2" accumulation).