ohioflyer

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Originally Posted by ihdihd
I'm not so sure about that. Under the general coupon screen it says:

Effective: April 1, 2007
Expiry Date: Nov 17, 2007

In the reservations section, it says:

"Embargo dates: November 16, 2007 - January 3, 2008. "

If I understand it correctly, the expiry date is only for redeeming the coupon (booking a trip).

As for the travel embargo dates, I'm reading it as you can travel on anything you booked between 4/1/07 and 11/17/07 between 11/16/07 and 1/3/08

I can, however, book between now and 11/17 for travel either before 11/16/07 or after 1/3/08.

Since I want to travel between 11/16 and 12/31 for an MR, I would prefer to have a GC to use instead of the $200 off coupon that has this restriction. Someone else, however, might be looking now to book a trip for after 1/3/2008 and can benefit from the $200 off more than, say, a $150 GC or voucher.
The trAAvelperks companion certificate terms & conditions say this:

The discount must be redeemed at AA.com and all travel completed by the expiration date provided.

And as for your plan of trading this on CC, the t & c's say this:

This discount is valid for two passengers only. It is transferable but may not be bartered or sold. The person redeeming the certificate and booking the flight must be the TrAAvel PerksŪ member to whom the certificate was awarded, OR his/her spouse or dependent child. Anyone may be designated as the companion traveler on the itinerary.

That sounds as if you, or your spouse or dependent child, must travel.

I realize that the t & c's say at least one thing that FTers have reported is not what actually happens: companions do receive miles. You may want to test out your ideas about expiry date and transferability. This could easily done by starting a booking for next year, for yourself and a companion, and separately, for travel by two complete strangers. You will know if the code will apply a discount before you get to the point where you need to complete the booking.