FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seating scramble - exit poachers
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:08 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Seating scramble - exit poachers

Came off 1115 this eve, YYZ - ORD. Pretty good flight, and a surprisingly clean aircraft compared to what I normally see. But wanted to relate a story.

Plane was swapped from a 319 to 320. I was booked in seat 9D. I accidentally sat down in 9C, honest mistake. 10 ABC (exit row) was full with a group of 3. A guy goes back to 10, looks around, and then decides to sit in 9A (I'm pretty sure he had BP for 10C, but he didn't mind).

A few minutes later, the FA goes to check the boarding pass of 10A, as the pax with the actual boarding pass for 10A can't get to his seat. I don't know exactly what the FA's said to those in row 10, but I overhear them saying they would need to move to row 9 ABC (I'm assuming their assigned seats - this is when I realize I am in the wrong seat, and I start gathering my stuff to move). As I am starting this, the FA just tells the guy who is suppose to be in 10A to sit in an empty seat, he picks 9D (I remained in 9C).

My take on this all - the group sitting in 10 were poaching exit row seats, not cool. Shouldn't the FA have moved the group in 10? I certainly didn't have a problem moving to my original, assigned 9D. But if it was me who had exit row seats, I would be a bit annoyed that I got moved due to poachers, and would have insisted (as is my right) that I get my exit row seats.