FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Fairmont Banff Springs
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:38 pm
Snow Goose

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
Anyone stayed at Banff Springs lately and have any poinions as to whether the buy-up from run of the mill Fairmont room to Fairmont view room worth it? The difference isn't huge but won't bother if its upgrading from virtually no view to parking lots view. Appreciate any feedback.
Without a doubt it is one of my favourite hotels. Rooms can be quite small and in some cases badly need an update, but the hotel itself is the pinnacle of the old Canadian CP style hotels. Fantastic location, stunning views, world-class spa, great amenities. You can literally spend a day or two just wandering the property... then spend the rest of your time at the spa. As a premier, this is one of the best benefits of the FPC program. They have a hungarian mineral pool, outside whirlpool and three variable temperature "waterfall" plunge pools, plus his/hers saunas, steam rooms, inhalation rooms etc. Top it all off with a small selection of complimentary snacks, coffee/tea, signature flavoured waters and fantastic spa amenities. There is something inherently relaxing about spending half a day using the facilities, then repeating it every day of your trip. By the second or third spa "session" my mind goes into a trance and I practically forget my own identity! The definition of relaxation and pampering, and completely free assuming you don't sign up for treatments.

Depending on your budget and needs, food can be amazingly inexpensive at this property. The property features an on-site conveniance store that sells a limited selection of groceries, an on-site liquor store, plus the 24-hr Castle Pantry which sells a wide range of meal options that are pretty decent quality (think high-class food on the go) for very reasonable prices. One of my favourite activities is to pick up breakfast from the Castle Pantry and eat on one of the outside terraces overlooking the Bow Valley. Of course, there are lots of expensive dining options as well.

In terms of view - the hotel sells two categories but of course there is lots of variation. In general, any of the higher floors will have a great view whether they are mountain or valley. However, the valley views are truly spectacular. In the event that you go with the mountain view, keep in mind that there are tons of public viewing areas (restaurants, terraces etc.) from which to enjoy this same view. I'm not sure if I could really justify more than a $60 premium per night for the valley view.

Enjoy your trip.

SG

Last edited by Snow Goose; Sep 13, 2007 at 5:51 pm