View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 07, 12:22 pm
ESpen36
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JGR01 View Post
So AA is short sighted enough to think that premium traffic ex-DFW to NRT (2 flights), LGW (2 flights soon to go LHR on at least one), FRA, ZHR, SCL, EZE and GRU ( I count 10 in all) is not enough to support a FL? OK some are 763 with EXP only access .. but their HOME BASE is supposed to be the showplace for the world!
I think you hit the nail on the head. The FL is designed to be a lounge for full-fare First Class passengers traveling to Europe, Asia, and South America. AA grudging lets in EXPs (flying to/from/through these locations and MEX) because it has to do so thanks to OW agreements.

Many of those international services mentioned above are operated with a 763, and therefore no First Class section. Thus, DFW has nowhere near the number of paying full-fare F international passengers as ORD, and definitely nowhere near JFK!

I agree that given all of the EXPs and other AA elites who are based out of DFW, the FL would be flooded all the time with mileage redeemers and EXPs traveling internationally. It would be too much revenue exposure, given that the FL is exclusively a PERK, not a membership club like the AC. AA doesn't make any additional money when an AA passenger or elite walks in.

Finally, I agree with others: there's nobody else to help pay for the FL at DFW. At LAX, QF pays a very significant portion of the FL's operational costs (the other OW airlines help out, every time a non-AA OW Emerald walks in). JFK is the highest-yield station in the AA network (the most number of full-fare premium international pax), so it deserves a FL. LHR gets one because of significant premium yields as well. ORD needs a FL for competitive reasonss.

I do guess one does ask the question why in the world MIA does not have an FL lounge. Especially with all the South American flights along with LHR, CDG and I guess another several international flights. I have also never understood why they took away the FL at DFW or why they didn't at least put one within the new AC in terminal D.
Again, most of the South America services are with 763s.