FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A-380 flights in January 2008.
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:18 am
jaffa.oz

Programs: QC/Qff Gold Starwood SS/venetian HHon's Accorgold AmexPlat
possible answer

I hazard a guess makin'miles that they have not announced it yet because SQ want maximum focus & media attention on the auction of the first return flights.

If people knew days after the first flights, they could take flight number such-n-such for the regular fare for the 380 then the auction would not raise the level of interest that they hope for and might not generate the level of interest it is presently enjoying.

I also assume that SQ want to recognize maximum revenue yield in it's brief honeymoon period before the next airline competition receives theirs.

So that would explain the near impossibility for the last 5 months to book an "A" or "D" bucket for 221 or 232 this blackout of availability covers the last 3 weeks of Nov, Dec and the first 3 weeks of Jan.

I do not know what other peoples successes have been with redeeming awards on these flights but l hazard a guess and recon that 3 months ago all of a sudden there has been no availabilty on these flights the same as no availability in the cheap "A" "D" paid buckets for the RTW's ect.

Now l could be completely wrong in all of this, but the phone call l received today was strange to say the least.
It was almost like they are doing me a "favor"

The smart FT members here have probably been aware of this for months and have made their bookings/redemptions ages ago, but to protect their chances they keep their knowledge to themselves to maximize their chances.
I know if l was more experienced with all this FF stuff, thats what l would do.

One thing l have learn't here is the best chance of cheap seats/upgrades/higher status credit/bonus miles/extra benefits, come with change of aircraft, new routes, route changes, new alliances & codeshares and extra capacity.

The clever FF knows when these are happening and with their knowledge of the system, knows when to take a punt and move on a ticket or award whether just for the joy of it or to achieve a goal or plan.
And good on them, because with their success and their willingness to share we all learn how to make this work for us.

Thats what l love about FT and its members.