FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Favorite budget travel items?
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:15 pm
r0mer

Rick Steves

I absoultely Hate his political philosophy, BUT his convertible carry on backpack is absolutely the best (IMHO). I bought my first 12 yrs ago, then bought one for my girlfriend (now wife) 7 yrs ago and just bought another one for myself - not because the first one was worn out, just getting a bit threadbare, and I liked the improved features I saw in the newer one. I take 1-2 trips a year. At least one of them is always 3-6 weeks in length, and I always ONLY carry on my ONE Rick Steves carry-on convertible, that's all. That bag and this style of traveling has saved both me and my wife so many missed connections, and so much time in airports that I could write a book. Not to mention the sheer convenience of having both hands free as we walk briskly off the airplane, zip through customs, and are in our taxi or rental car before most passengers have arrived at the line for the "waiting for my bag to slide onto the carousel" ritual.
I have shown and lent this bag to friends who then went on to buy their own after experiencing the freedom and comfort it affords.
I know I'm sounding like a commercial, but when you find a really outstanding product you want everyone to know about it. Hope I've helped someone, it's my repayment for all the great tips I've gotten from this site.

P.S. I just thought that the "Tide to Go" pen might be a valuable addition to the packing list.