FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 15% bonus on SPG Amex
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:46 pm
p8riotsfan

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Then consider taking your business elsewhere if the normal bonus points you get for using the Starwood Amex aren't enough. These folks aren't morons -- good marketers know about the Internet and sharing of information. If they're not targeting you to incent behavior and you don't feel appreciated as a customer, there's always the choice of not using the Amex.

I haven't been targeted for a single Amex Starwood promotion (and also didn't hit the right timing window to get bonus points for adding an additional cardholder), but I'm still getting the benefits they agreed to when I use the card. That's why I signed up.
This is an age old "debate." Is one entitled to something or not? Entitlement is in the eye of the beholder. On this topic, we are all trying to get something more and will often push the envelope in the process. Take the topic of the annual fee!

I am one who made the attempt through snail mail. I did get a personal call from an Assistant Executive (ahem...Assistant TO the Executive....The Office LOL?). Her response was respectful but there was nothing to be done regarding points. She earnestly tried to educate me on how to maximize my points, which was kind and innocently "cute." Today I got a beautiful plant delivered to my office from AMEX with apologies for my trouble. While I would have loved points as I had gotten a few years ago, this effort was uncalled for and kind and will keep me loyal to this card.

We have to realize that system holes are constantly being "sealed" over in an effort to maximize profits. We can debate over how much profit is enough for AMEX or SPG or how inappropriate our wants are, but in the end I think the preschool addage (sp?) prevails in these matters: "You get what you get and you don't get upset." AND "It never hurts to ask."

Last edited by p8riotsfan; Sep 7, 2007 at 5:51 pm