FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your right to fly without ID (proof at last)
Old Sep 6, 2007, 1:15 pm
n5667

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Chris - I am glad you received some documentation back concerning your requests for information.

However, the following passages do not give me the warm fuzzies...

Both of those quotes (emphasis mine) tell me that TSA has plans to implement this at some point in the future, probably near future given the comments of Skeletor and his minions of late.

In other words - if TSA asks for your information, you are within your rights to require a Privacy Act notice filled out, since they are a Federal entity and are required to do so under the conditions outlined in the Act. However, if they really want your information, but don't want to comply with the statutory requirements of the Privacy Act, they can just call a LEO over and get the LEO to capture your information and give it to them...bypassing the Privacy Act altogether since the LEO is not a Federal resource (with some exceptions - the Metropolitan Airports Authority police at IAD and DCA are actually Federal LEO).
I'm sure you're familiar with the real I.D act, I'd be surprised if that and the requirement to proffer identification when flying don't occur simultaneously.